Thirsty 12 - Planting Seeds of Faith, Hope and Love in the County Jail

Thirsty 12 is an ongoing initiative to actively recruit passionate and thirsty men and women who are eager and willing to share God's Word with inmates at local jail ministries throughout the country. Although my goal is one person a month thus the title "Thirsty 12", my ultimate goal is to have men and women volunteering at a jail ministry in each of the 50 states. To God be all the glory and honor!

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chapter 6 - Two Precious Bail Bonds

Fact:  95% of inmates are eventually released back into society.

What you are is God’s gift to you, what you do with yourself is your gift to God.
- Leo Buscaglia

I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments.                                                                                                                                                                                                   - Psalm 119:176
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
All of us possess different gifts and talents that were bestowed upon us by our Heavenly Father.  It is always sad to see wasted talent go unused for God’s Kingdom and glory when there is just so much potential for good.  I believe everyone has the potential for good but the problem is that potential remains just that unless there is a belief in it somewhere along the way. 
   As I visit inmates, I always try to make it a point to tell them four words they seldom ever hear.  Those four words are “I believe in you.”  It is amazing what a person is capable of doing when someone else recognizes they have the ability to triumph and overcome their circumstances.  When more than one person believes something can be accomplished, the island no longer feels so small and desolate.
   There is something to be said for giving someone the gift of hope.  Hope can be defined as “to cherish a desire with anticipation.”  It is something that drives us; however, when taken away, it can have a crippling effect.  The question is what or who do we place our hope in?  What keeps you getting up in the morning?  Is it something that is going to perish or something that is eternal?
   I remember visiting the jail one morning and the inmate I visited shared with me that he was contemplating committing suicide.  At that moment, he was without hope.  He felt as if there was nothing to look forward to in life and because of that he wanted to end his on earth.  If you took a picture of this man’s eyes before and after the jail ministry visit, you would have been astonished at the difference.  After sharing God’s Word with him and telling him of the hope we have been promised if we profess Jesus to be our Lord and Savior, you would have needed a giant crane to remove the smile from his face.  I’ll never forget the look in his eyes I saw before I left that morning.  I saw the hope of Christ reflecting back at me and it was awesome!
   We are all in desperate need of a Shepherd called Jesus Christ who is fully capable of leading and guiding us in the right direction.  Although sheep like to go astray, when it consciously decides to return to his Shepherd, there is great rejoicing!  How valuable is the Shepherd?  I think Psalm 23:1 says it all in that “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”  There is great reward in helping the lost fully understand how powerful those nine words are to living a life that is not in search of filling something that has already been provided.
             
WRONG PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME

Out of all of my visits to the county jail, one specific visit had an incredible outcome that wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for two precious bail bonds.  Prior to this visit, when I thought of a bail bond, I probably would have been reminded of the reality television show on A&E called “Dog the Bounty Hunter.”  This show chronicles the operations of Duane “Dog” Chapman and his team of family and friends as they capture fugitives that have skipped their court appointed appearances.  After making the visit I am about to share, the words bail bond now take on a whole new meaning. 
   Every trip to the county jail has always been an exciting adventure.  You never know exactly which floor you will be placed on.  You’ll most likely get the opportunity to meet someone new for the first time.  Most importantly, someone could be making a decision that could impact the rest of their earthly and eternal life.  On this particular Saturday morning, I was surprised to have seven inmates waiting for me in a holding cell.  Although there are probably over 100 inmates on each floor, it is unusual to get more than 3 to 4 inmates for a visit.  Seven inmates was certainly a surprising turnout and I couldn’t wait to see what was going to unfold over the next hour.
   As soon as I showed up I noticed the men were talking about their bail bonds.  Two of the seven men had the money for their bail bonds but because it was the weekend, they would not be able to get released from jail until Monday.  I told them that God might have different plans for them being there and something special could happen within the next hour that could turn out to be a blessing. 
   After taking prayer requests and opening in prayer, I talked about what the first thing is they do when they wake-up in the morning.  I reminded them of Psalm 118:24 that says “This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”  I told them every day is a blessing because it is a new day God has decided to create for us to enjoy.  The sun does not rise and set by its own power but is directed by the Lord.
   I proceeded to ask the seven men if any of them had ever shared their faith with another person.  I saw three men raise their hands.  I then asked if there was anyone who ever led someone to Christ.  One hand remained raised out of the crowd.  I asked the inmate if he would be willing to share his story about who he was given the opportunity to lead to Christ.  He was gracious and willing to share with the group that he led his mother to Christ at an earlier time in his life.  His eyes started to tear up talking about it because he realized he had been used by God to help save his mother from spending an eternity in hell.
   We then discussed how the Bible is a treasure and I shared with them what I like to say to myself every time I open God’s Word to read it.

“This Bible is the inspired Word of God.  It is the infallible, indestructible, incorruptible, undeniable, perfect Word of God that is about to change my life forever.  Thank you, Jesus, for dying on the cross so that my sins may be forgiven, so the Holy Spirit can run rapid through these veins and for the promise of eternal salvation with my Redeemer and best Friend.  Unleash the awesome, raw power of the Holy Spirit within me and give me the strength to serve You all the days of my life and finish this race strong.  For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen.”  

It is difficult for me to not get pumped up about the effect reading God’s Word has on my life after reciting those words.  It is so much more than just a book.  It is divine instructions directly from God on how to live a successful Christian life. 
I then reminded each of the men these four important truths regarding God’s Word:

1.      God’s Word is Alive
2.      God’s Word is a Fire
3.      God’s Word is a Lamp
4.      God’s Word is Inspired
 
When you think about God’s Word being alive, a fire, a lamp and inspired, one can’t help but to get excited about the plans he has for each of us to do His will and assist in expanding His kingdom.
            As the hour was coming to a close, I shared 1 Corinthians 13:11-13 with the inmates.
                            
“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.  For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face.  Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.  And now abide in faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”         

I asked the men if there was anyone that was willing to take a stand for Christ.  Eventually the little boy has to sit down with his childish ways and the man has to stand up.  I questioned them about what they think would happen if they got out of jail and became the man God has called them to be.  Could they be used by God to be a catalyst for positive change within their circle of family and friends?
   As I shared the burden and regret we often carry around like a ball and chain, I told them there is someone who wants to take that away.  His name is Jesus and because of His death on the cross for our sins, it says in 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  At this moment I noticed a man in the back of the holding cell that could no longer hold back his tears and starting sobbing.  He said earlier in the visit during the prayer requests to pray for his wife and kids.  I’m most certain he was thinking about them at that time.  This was one of the men that had his money for the bail bond and by all means should not have been there that morning.  God certainly had other plans.
   I proceeded to share how God has a purpose for all of us and recited Ephesians 2:10.  I talked about how faith and not works is the way to salvation as described in Ephesians 2:8-9.  I informed the men that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ as told by Jesus himself in John 14:6.  As all eyes were focused on the one delivering God’s plan of salvation, the time had come to share Romans 10:9-10 that says “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
   As I told the men to bow their heads and close their eyes, I asked them this question.  If they were to boil down who they were into a fragrance and present it to God as an offering for Him to inhale, what kind of fragrance offering would it be?  Would it be a sweet, pleasing smell or would it be foul and disgusting?  I asked if there was anyone that didn’t ever remember making a personal decision to receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.  If they were not sure about their salvation and wanted to receive Him today, I encouraged them to individually raise their hand.  I suddenly saw one hand raise, followed by another and yet one more.  As I asked if anyone wanted to rededicate their life to Christ, an additional man raised his hand.  As we all held hands and recited a prayer for those men to receive Christ for the first time and for the one to rededicate his life, God’s Holy Spirit was certainly in the midst.
   We closed the visit by holding hands and singing “Amazing Grace.”  It was an amazing visit and no other song would have done it justice.  As I left the floor to enter the freight elevator, once again God blew me away with a tremendous blessing because both of the men that were held up by their precious bail bonds received Christ for the first time that morning.  To God be the glory and honor!        

Discussion Questions

1)   Do you believe God has bestowed different gifts and talents to all of humankind that can be used to further His Kingdom?  How important do you think it is to have a heart that is willing to follow God in order to discover these gifts and talents?
  
2)   Do you think having someone believe in you is a powerful motivator to make plans and take action towards achieving dreams and aspirations?  How can you be an encouragement today to someone that has led a difficult life?

3)   Who or what do you place your hope in today?  Is it something that is going to perish or will it last for eternity?  How does Psalm 23:1 speak to your soul?

4)   When thinking about 1 Corinthians 13:11-13, do you know anyone that has yet to put away their childish ways?  What are some ways you can encourage them to abide in faith, hope and love?

5)   If you were able to boil down the essence of who you are into a fragrance and send it up to God as an offering, would He find it to be a pleasing aroma?  If the answer is no, what are some areas in your life you can pray to God about to help you work on?  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home